Thursday, April 15, 2010

Bum Rolls

I think that "Bum Roll" is a modern term for this article-- I say this because I think I read a different word for it at one point in life, but I didn't commit it to memory at the time.  If I run across it again, I will include it here.

In short , this is an item that can be so very beneficial to support of heavy skirting, like those made of velvet or the heavier upholstery materials.  Not only did the bum roll have a practical use, it had the ability to make a woman more attractive on the marriage market.  If you have wide hips, you could bear many children-- or so the thinking went.  So to be marketable a woman would pad her hips.

The Bum roll comes in different sizes and diameters.  I have found a moderately sized bum roll to be the most favorable for my physique and size.  This means my bum roll is made at 2.5" at the widest point in back before it is stuffed.  I run a stout cord, usually a shoe string style cord, clear across the inside seam and allowing for the extra tying.  I do this to keep the ties from pulling from the seam ends.  Over the years I have taken to making my bum rolls look like sausage vs. crescent moon.  Mostly because the support is more evenly placed.  However, to remain more historically accurate I will make them in the crescent shape again.

So far my bum rolls are utilitarian-- not particularly pretty.  But like all things, as I get to the final designs and am satisfied I will beautify them-- maybe even practice my embroidery.

  Check out this webpage for further ideas for your bum roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment