Monday, July 19, 2010

Up-cycling from Second Hand to Fantasy Glam

I was introduced to up-cycling in a round about way.  So roundabout, I can't even remember all the twists and turns.  But it hit me recently that I should consider the option to optimize and expand my customer base (right now via Etsy).

I purchased two dresses from Goodwill, one embroidered green buttoned down sheath and a purple silk sheath.  The green is a M(edium) and the purple is a size 4.
Size Medium 
Size 4
  
  

I started with the green.  Put it on the dress dummy and sliced up the side seams, popped all the buttons but two, and turned down the neckline to create a better view of the cleavage.  I then pinned in the ribbons at the shoulder (needed more-- purple) and pinned in a white gauzy cotton for sleeves.
The fabric around the waist is a mock-up for the waist cincher.
***
Finished product and notes:


(click for larger view)


(click for larger view)
(click for larger view)
The transformation: Added cotton gauze to the sleeves and at the side seams of the green dress.  Ribbons at the shoulder and at the bicep of the arm of various colors.  Removal of the original ties in the back and cut and re applied to the front as loop holes for lacing.  A redesign of the neckline to allow for a deeper scoop.





(click for larger view)
(click for larger view)
The Partial cape : cut up both side seams of the purple sheath dress.  Hung sideways from the neck to cover the arms or hang from the back.









The waist cincher was made from purchased linen/cotton blend and appliqués and lacing grommets added.

I guess that covers it, LOL!

Warmest Regards,

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Darcien, how clever! And I really like it. You are a true tailor and would have done very well in 15th century England. All of Elizabeth Tudor's clothing were remade to fit the rather heavy wife of James I. And I bet they did it they way you did that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Adele. I don't blame James I, Elizabeth had an extensive wardrobe-- costly. May as well use it,LOL.

    ReplyDelete